Friday, August 9, 2013

Pet Responsibility

For a while now, J, has pleaded his case for having a kitten. Husband has shot the idea down time and time again much to J's sadness. So I had a long discussion with Husband about teaching responsibility, instilling compassion, and how even though we may not like things when our children do and are delighted, that transpires over to us. J and I sat and made a proposal for Husband to review. This included: the kitten would be a birthday present, we would seek one from a shelter to be sure we are giving a home to a needy pet, it would be very young, have short fur that is not white, and lastly, all of the responsibility for this kitten would be J's which involves particularly, cleaning the litter daily and sweeping the floor if litter was on it. He would also feed and water his kitten. J's specific requirements were that the kitten would be grey and have some stripes. 

After presenting the proposal to Husband, he relented saying it could be a birthday present but that he wanted nothing to do with it because he "doesn't like cats!" I believe this is a nature vs nurture inheritance as his dad is the same way whereas I grew up with a cat and prefer house cats to house dogs! Husband prefers no house pets but is a dog owner! Cats are easy and low maintenance but dogs are needy creatures. 

After our nature walk and picnic lunch last Friday I thought it would be good for the boys to take a field trip to the animal shelter to see what it means to adopt a pet that wouldn't have a home otherwise. I honestly didn't expect them to have any kittens. We have been before and although they had young cats, they've never had baby kittens. Low and behold, they had a litter of three WILD WILD WILD kittens. They were climbing the cage and yelling so loud for attention. I felt bad for them but knew immediately that I was not going to have a wild kitten in our house! J was set on one of those kittens! Then I heard a wonderful raspy meow down a few cages and there was a cute and calm little grey kitten with black stripes. I mean little!!! I deterred J's attention that way and he was smitten! The man that worked there let J hold him and J fell in love! It was explained that we needed to talk with daddy and make sure we had permission and we needed to get supplies. The shelter was closed over the weekend so if we were allowed, we would pick him up the following Monday. J called Husband at work and pleaded his case about how the kitten would be his early birthday present (since his birthday is in October) and how this kitten was his perfect kitten. Husband said he'd rather I just brought the kitten home so he didn't have a say in it at all. So all weekend, J and I gathered the proper kitten supplies and each time we purchased something, I reminded him of how this was the only gift he was getting from Mom and Dad for his birthday. Kittens are free to adopt from our shelter because they have no vet care and you are responsible for their shots and spay/neuter. The supplies came to about $40 including the shots we will do ourselves. The vet bill for an initial visit was $47 and then I had to make the appointments for rabies and his neuter for later in the year. Hopefully I stumble upon on a rabies clinic and the vet is reasonable with the neuter. I would prefer to declaw as in humane as people feel that is but he's doing well so far with me clipping his nails and not scratching so we shall see. Husband doesn't think I should declaw which I feel is his ulterior motive for putting the cat outside at some point! If we have a cat, it will be indoors! I don't like the germs and such cats bring home and I don't want to have to explain why the cat ended up dead to my sweet hearted child who adores him! 

After a week of having this super adorable, super tiny kitten, I have to say I am impressed! He is already a part of our family. J loves him and checks on him all of the time. I made a chart for him and he daily does his pet chart without me having to ask. He has been told, very seriously, that if he neglects to care for this kitten, the kitten will be given away. Husband is serious about that! And would have zero remorse. So, I encourage him to stick with it! In J's excitement, he called my mom and told her all about his kitten and when she asked what she could send him for his new kitten, he said, "Well, how about money so I can buy food and litter for my kitten?" 

I believe six is a magical age where reason and understanding really ignite. J will be turning six soon and I see these new traits coming out in him. He's becoming a boy now and less of a baby. Although he's so tall, it's been a while that he physically looked like a baby, but he held a lot of baby personality to me still for a while but I am noticing it is about extinct. I am enjoying this new season with him and having sound conversations about life. He is a joy to my heart and I adore him! This kitten endeavor has opened my eyes to a child's excitement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment